Our High School RoboAcad Program - the "Cadets"
June 17 - August 16, 2013
The RoboAcad Cadet program is designed to give promising high school students (aged 16 and 17 years old) the chance to experience robotic engineering at NASA Ames Research Center in northern California. Students participating in the RoboAcad Cadet program will have the unparalleled opportunity to help design and build robots at NASA Ames, take NASA Ames tours, and attend some lectures. The RoboAcad Cadet program is an exciting way for engineering and robotics-focused high school students to acquire valuable hands-on experience, and to interact with and learn from professionals working in the field.
Upon completing their first year of college, RoboAcad Cadets who show technical promise and demonstrate to be a good team member, will have the opportunity to apply for admission as a regular college intern in the RoboAcad program in following years.
Qualified high school students wishing to apply for the RoboAcad Cadet program should be aware that due to Federal and State child labor laws and NASA regulations, there are a number of RoboAcad activities in which Cadets will not be allowed to participate. These limitation include but are not limited to:
- The Cadet program is an unpaid internship opportunity.
- Cadets must be 16 years of age by June 1st, 2013.
- Cadets will not be allowed to use power or metal shop tools.
- Cadets may not work more than 40 hours per week, work past 6pm, or on weekends.
- Cadets must live at home or with a friend or relative (as designated by their parent or legal guardian). Cadets may not rent apartments or live with the RoboAcad college interns.
- Cadets must have a reliable means of transportation to and from NASA Ames Research Center. NASA cannot provide transportation for Cadets and cannot provide supervision at any time other than for work-related RoboAcad activities at NASA Ames Research Center.
- Cadets must not miss more than three days total during the Academy.
Please note that for legal reasons, a parent or legal guardian must be the one who signs and submits the application via US Mail. All students (college or cadets) must certify that they have health insurance.
To Apply for the 2013 Robotics Academy Cadet Program, complete the following Application Instructions:
2013.Cadet.App.pdf (Save As)
NASA Ames Robotics Academy
Applications must be postmarked by May 10, 2013.
NASA Ames Research Center
Mailstop T28B RM103
Moffett Field, CA 94035
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact Robotics Academy Staff: